Heart Attack to 10K (part 4.3) - End of year 1 round-up and assessment

END OF YEAR 1 ROUND-UP AND ASSESSMENT
(Phase VI – 
sustaining a healthy life-style)


"Nothings going to happen unless you make it happen."

Both my visits to the Cardiologist and Urologist in late November/early December were both unassuming, which is a good thing. The only thing to come out of my visit to Harefield was another appointment in 6 months' time while the results from the MRI scan as good as cleared me from the possibility of prostate cancer and the only real headway was if I want to improve my quality of life and pee less I need to drink more! ... (but not caffeine, alcohol etc. - none of the good stuff of course).

With freezing temperatures setting in, my SMART challenge to complete the Wycombe Rye parkrun in under 30 minutes [see part 4.2] became more difficult as I was becoming more prone to angina. After reading an article regarding the increased risks of heart attacks while shovelling snow [link], just after having cleared snow from my driveway, I became concerned and so contacted both the BHF (British Heart Foundation) and Cardiac rehab for advice on exercising in freezing conditions.

Although neither dismissed exercising completely, the cardiac rehab. did provide the following advice: 

'Most of the research would agree in temperatures 25ºC or -3ºC exercise should be avoided although all guidelines will state that care should be taken in cold temperatures. This is because the environment around you will affect your body’s response to exercise. In this case cold weather has a negative effect on your circulation and can make some people vulnerable to angina symptoms. This is because body attempts to prevent heat loss by constricting the blood vessels in the skin and shunting the warm blood back to the vital organs. This narrowing increases blood pressure and may cause angina. If you are wearing heavy outdoor clothing and walking in the cold weather this can significantly increase exercise effort and increase sweating. Make sure you are not going straight from a hot/warm environment out into the cold and start exercising this sudden temperature change can cause problems with the heart. The warm up is very important here to allow the body to adjust to the changes we are placing on it. By wearing a scarf in windy or cold weather this can help to warm the air and therefore reduce angina symptoms.

We would not like to see you getting angina pain as a matter of course; if you are still getting angina pain I would like you to make your GP aware of this fact. If you are getting angina symptoms during exercise it can be an indication that you are training too hard and the oxygen demand you are placing on the heart is not being met therefore reducing the intensity would be advised.'



All this meant that, although I did another two runs finishing in 33:58 and a new personal best time of 32:51 in cold conditions, I then decided to follow the above advice and set as a guide not to run if there was a frost on the ground. So I had to miss the next week leaving just the 23rd Dec. to attempt my 30 minute challenge by the anniversary of my heart attack. In much milder conditions I had high hopes but woke in the morning with the beginnings of flu like symptoms, not bad enough to prevent me from trying but I still wasn't feeling 100%. Having put out on the Wycombe Rye parkrun facebook page about my last ditch attempt at breaking the 30 minute barrier, I received some great support and encouragement both before and around the course from my fellow runners, but ultimately it didn't help as I came in at 33:28 - my 3rd best recorded time. 

I felt ill all over the Christmas period and this hampered my exercising with my step count falling to the pre-cardiac rehab. level, but it was pleasing that my efforts over the past year were recognised and rewarded when my kids all clubbed together to buy me a Fitbit Blaze for Christmas. They had been impressed by my dedication and what I had achieved and wanted to maintain that motivation and progress, either that or they thought I wasn't working harder enough .... either way, I was now able to track all manner of things including my pulse and sleep patterns. One feature I have found surprisingly useful, particularly during work hours where I have a desk job, is the hourly activity monitor where you have to walk at least 250 steps each hour over 9 hours, this encourages you to move regularly rather than just sit static for long periods and you get a satisfying sense of achievement if you manage to complete all 9 hours and join the dots in one day. 

I'm not sure if I entirely trust the accuracy of the step count though, with the Fitbit on the wrist it does seem likely that it will count arm movements rather than steps so I still rely on my pedometer for my recorded step count. A good example was on a Saturday where I did the parkrun in the morning and went to see Wycombe Wanderers play Colchester United in the afternoon, the Fitbit recorded some 23,079 steps while the pedometer only reached 19,652; it was a good match where a lot of applauding was necessary (any goal against the 'auld enemy' has to be enthusiastically celebrated …… and there were 3 of them!) and this would seem to account for the difference (maybe I can gauge the excitement level of a match by the margin between the readings?). Besides this it is a very useful gadget but I probably couldn't justify the expense to buy one for myself so thank-you to Paul, Louise, Robert, Ben and Kaitlyn - just as pleasing as the gift was that you have all recognised the effort and what I have tried to achieve over the past year. 

As I returned to work I have tried to pick up on my physical activity again, to get back to a level where I was before Christmas. Because of the illness I haven't really indulged too much in the festive feasting so at least I hadn't gained any weight over the holidays. For my first park run of the new year on 13th Jan. mentioned above I wasn't attempting to beat 30 minutes so change my tact and ran to my angina pain instead, jogging at a slower pace and slowing to a walk as it the pain started, rather than pushing myself to try and beat the clock and as a result finished in 36:22 with an improved times of 35:05 & 34:27 in the following weeks as I found a more comfortable pace but still unable to complete the course on a non-stop jog, which was my next challenge on parkrun.

Work - daily reminder to take my meds and eat more fruit

FFIT have come to the rescue again and have started up a weekly circuit training sessions (FFIT Xtra) open to all the FFIT legends for a low cost, this is really useful for me as it will give me that regular exercise I'm always looking for and the timing suits me far better than the Cardiac rehab phase IV sessions as I am still able to pick up the Mrs from her evening job though as this is held outside in a marquee tent, during the winter months I still need to be wary of the outside air temperatures before exercising too hard.


END OF YEAR ASSESSMENT:

I've put together this 'report' to review the year as up to the 30th January 2018 as that is the first anniversary of my Cardiac rehabilitation heart assessment when all my 'base-line' measurements were taken and targets set [see part 3]. It is these targets that I have been working towards throughout 2017 and now gives me a good opportunity to assess just how far I have progressed.


My blood pressure readings are always a bit erratic as I seem to suffer from 'white coat syndrome', this is where the readings are always higher at the doctors or hospital or anywhere but home and I'm always having to convince the doctors not to increase my blood pressure medication by taking along my own 'home' readings. The heart assessment reading was taken in the hospital while the anniversary reading is an average taken over a week at home which gives a fairly typical reading, I am very rarely above the target at home.


My weight has shown a steady reduction throughout the year losing in total 11.8 kg (26 lbs) from my peak weight of 98.6 kg, if I can keep up my current rate I should reach the upper target weight by late October this year. I hadn't set a time scale to achieve my weight loss but am happy with this 'slow & steady' progress, which also fits the goal I set myself back at the cardiac rehab. [see part 3].



I can't finish this end of year round-up without mentioning the step count where of course, it's also a year since I was given my pedometer which has basically dominated my recovery. This little gizmo has counted every step bar my frequent toilet visits in the middle of the night.

2000 mile walk
In all over the 365 days I have walked 4,046,492 steps, that is a little over 2,000 miles which is 'very far' according to the Pretenders, well certainly far enough to get me into Egypt (funny how I'm still where I started). This gives me an overall average of 11,086 steps per day, considering my first week average was 3,756 and slowly built up from there that's not to shabby and if I just look at my average over the last 6 months that takes me up to 12,398 per day. My best day was obviously the Heart & Souls London Bridges sponsored walk where I trod some 32,539 steps which also gave me my highest weekly average of 16,551 [see part 4.2] - the next best day being where I did 25,326 steps running around the Hazlemere fete for Totteridge FC. 

This blog has also made its own global mark with 2,447 page views to date, 2,008 coming from the UK followed by an audience of 189 from Ireland and 81 from the USA. Other countries in the top 10 giving it an international appeal are: Ukraine, Russia, Belgium, Iceland, New Zealand, Germany and France - thank-you all for taking time to read at least a part of my story.



A FEW END OF YEAR AWARDS:

Highlight of the year: It has to be raising that amazing £1,797.00 for Hearts & Souls [see part 4.2], I never ever expected to raise anywhere near that amount and would have been ecstatic with just £500.00, I was just so pleased to be able to give something back the Cardiac Rehabilitation team. I was left astounded by the massive and big-hearted generosity of everyone who contributed.

My JustGiving page will remain open for further donations until 31st March 2018 .... https://www.justgiving.com/fundraising/peter-kaitlyn-jemmett

Achievement of the year: I would probably say setting SMART goals and actually sticking to them, everything I've achieved so far is due to having realistic targets and being self-disciplined enough to follow them through. 

Stand out person of year: It really is unfair to select just one person as every-one I have met (more than I can name) right from the paramedics who first attended me, the staff at the Cardiac & Stroke Receiving Unit at Wycombe hospital or the Acute Cardiac Care Unit at Harefield hospital up to the parkrun volunteers and fellow runners has given fantastic friendly support and encouragement. If pushed, I'd probably pick Sam Parker (and Andy Homent as they only come as a pair) at FFIT - her enthusiasm is so infectious it makes you want to achieve. She has such a genuine interest in everything she does and shows a honest desire to help her students meet their health and fitness needs. 

Moment of the year: There's been a few varied and different moments throughout the year but I shall go with eventually being as good as cleared of prostate cancer after a year of doubt. This was always in the background and although never really a major worry it was still a relief to be told there was no cancer. Though just being at White Hart Lane so soon after an angioplasty [see part 2] and receiving the £900.00 donation from Instron was pretty special as well [see part 4.2]. 

Most defining event: Probably my nuclear profusion scan as this reassured me that my heart is not in such bad shape and gave me the confidence for making a good recovery and improving my fitness moving forward [see part 2]. 

Most inspirational person: Maybe surprisingly not some-one who helped me but another patient while I was in Harefield. The elderly gentleman in the bed opposite (sorry I've forgotten his name) had already been there for 3 months with at least as long again in front of him [see part 1]. I'm not sure what he actually had wrong with him but he was having to weight in & out all solids and liquids and his life at that time must have been pretty miserable, his wife was in another hospital receiving treatment but he kept her spirits up while having his house modified for when she came home, all from his hospital bed.  Yet he remained probably the most cheerful person I met all year. 

Turning point of the year: Receiving that bloody pedometer at the Cardiac Rehabilitation heart assessment!!


Heart attack to 10K pictorial record - click here

Thank-you for reading and I would love to hear your thoughts on any subject I have covered, please leave your comments below or email me at peterjemmett@aol.com



Previous:
Part 1 - That fateful day. (Phase I - heart attack)  click here
Part 2 - Back home & drama at White Hart Lane. (Phase II - home recovery)  click here
Part 3 - They tried to make me go to rehab, I said yes, yes, yes please. (Phase III - cardiac rehabilitation)  click here
Part 4.1 - Getting FFITer and Harefield & Heartbreak hill revisited (Phase IV - sustaining a healthy life-style)  click here
Part 4.2 - Walking for heart & soul & finding parkrun (Phase IV - sustaining a healthy life-style)  click here

Next:
Part 4.4 - Falling heart rate: fitter or hibernation? (Phase IV - sustaining a healthy life-style)  click here
Part 4.5 - Pain in the bum, going senile and sub 30! (Phase IV - sustaining a healthy life-style)  click here
Part 4.6 - Sub 29, attack of the AKI and 1 year old (Phase IV - sustaining a healthy life-style)  click here
Part 4.7 - Pushing the boundaries (Phase IV - sustaining a healthy life-style)  click here
Part 4.8 - Bling, bling, bling, two 10K's and a 5K. (Phase IV - sustaining a healthy life-style)  click here
Part 4.9 - 3 Years On, Ragged Radnage and Pete's bolus journey (Phase IV - sustaining a healthy life-style)  click here
Part 4.10 - Coping with COVID-19 and what they say (Phase IV - sustaining a healthy life-style)  click here
Part 4.11 - Living in the lock-down (Phase IV - sustaining a healthy life-style)  click here
Part 4.12 - Plus and minus 3.5 years; heart attack to half marathon! (Phase IV - sustaining a healthy life-style)  click here
Part 4.13 - Is it worth the risk? (Phase IV - sustaining a healthy life-style)  click here
Part 4.14 - Mixed bag through Covid (Phase IV - sustaining a healthy life-style)  click here
Part 4.15 - Getting back in the groove (Phase IV - sustaining a healthy life-style)  click here
Part 4.16 - Reintegrating back into society (Phase IV - sustaining a healthy life-style)  click here
Part 4.17 - Get that crazy rhythm (the low down on AFib) (Phase IV - sustaining a healthy life-style)  click here
Part 4.18 - The 5 year itch, time to cut the CRAP! (Phase IV - sustaining a healthy life-style) click here 
Part 4.19 - The last word (Phase IV - sustaining a healthy life-style) click here
Part 4.20 - Persisting with parkrun (Phase IV - sustaining a healthy life-style) click here
Part 4.21 - Stuck in reverse (recap of 2022) (Phase IV - sustaining a healthy life-style) click here
Part 4.22 - Starting all over again 6 years on (Phase IV - sustaining a healthy life-style) click here
Part 4.23 - God bless the NHS (Phase IV - sustaining a healthy life-style) click here
Part 4.24 - What I can, when I can (Phase IV - sustaining a healthy life-style) click here

Comments

The rest of the story

Heart Attack to 10K (part 4.1) - Getting FFITer and Harefield & Heartbreak hill revisited

Heart Attack to 10K (part 1) - That fateful day.

Heart Attack to 10K (part 4.17) - Get that crazy rhythm (the low down on AFib)

Heart Attack to 10K (part 3) - They tried to make me go to rehab, I said yes, yes, yes please

RUNNING THE RIDGE FOR HEARTS & SOULS: LOCAL CHARITY APPEAL

Heart Attack to 10K (part 4.23) - God bless the NHS

Heart Attack to 10K (part 4.20) - Persisting with parkrun

Heart Attack to 10K (part 2) - Back home & drama at White Hart Lane

Heart Attack to 10K (part 4.4) - Falling heart rate: fitter or hibernation?